Wooden bridge

The bridge is the continuation of  Zsinor and Gőzhajó street, it connects Csongrád with Csépa.

 

In 1896, the landowners of Nagyrét bought part of the bridge becoming superfluous at Esztergom. It meant 5 so called bridge classes which were held on the surface of water by boats made of oak. The bridge was originally so wide that two cars could pass next to each other and there was still enough room for passers-by to walk. The bridge suffered significant damages in both the First and the Second World War. In 1919, the bridge was seriously damaged in the gunfire and it could only be rebuilt with one lane. This bridge was blown up in October 1944. During its renewal the character of the wooden bridge changed, it was placed on military pontoons.

Pictures: 
Fahíd
Location: