TIMISOARA - GREEN AREAS
The parks and green areas along Bega canal and all over the city give a special charm to the area. This is the reason why Timişoara is also called „the city of parks and roses”.
The Botanical Park is Timişoara’s largest park and includes a great variety of arboreal and protected flowers species. It was arranged together with the Cadet Military School.
The Roses Park was founded in 1891 being initially named „Franz Iosef park”. After World War I the park was called „Rosarium Park”. During the interwar period, the summer theatre was built inside the park, where different cultural events take place.
The Central Park was founded in 1870and it is located in the centre of the city near Orthodox Cathedral. It was built in the place of the first cemetery of the city and has a surface of 91400 m2.
The Alpinet Park was created by Mihai Demetrovici in 1924 and includes a collection of alpine and subalpine species. It is located on Bega’s riverbank between Youth Bridge and Trajan Bridge.
The Cathedral Park is located behind the Orthodox Cathedral in the centre of the city.
The Civic Park is located in the place of Transilvania Barracks.
The Children Park is destined for children and includes playgrounds, leisure spots, walking alleys and an open-air theatre.
The Justice Park is located on C.D.Loga Boulevard and has a surface of 26.200m2 being designed in a triungular shape, with a passage through the Roses Park.
Gheorghe Doja Park is a very classy park , guarded by the statue of the martyr Gheorghe Doja. Before 1900 here were placed wood wearhouses and later, Pig’s Market.
The Dendrological Park of the Forestry School Group is also located in Timişoara. The present-day Forestry Highschool has a dendrological park located on the settlement of the old natural oak forest in the north-west of the city. The secular oak specimens from the old structure of the forest still vegetate in the park, imposing their massiveness and vigour. Some of them have reached the age of 350-400 years old. Similars specimens of elms dissapeared a quarter of century ago because of the mass dryness of this species in the north emisphere forests.
The park was created in 1885. The usable surface of the park is of 3.7 ha. Untill 1956, there were 194 tree species in the park, and in the present there are 260 species and indigenous and exotic varieties. Among the rare species existing in the park, we can include Ginko, also called the pagoda tree (Ginkgo biloba), a specied considered extinct from our flora. The fir tree and the spurce (Abies alba and Picea Abies) the two species that constitute our resinous forest in the mountain region are found here. The baldcypress (Taxodium distichum) a resinous tree brought from the flooded meadows of the Mississippi river is found here. When the school was founded taking into consideration the fact that a material base was necessary for practical activities, a surface of 14 ha from the Green Forest was transformed in tree nursery and a water tower is built to serve the water installation. At present, the surface of the tree nursery is of 2.5 ha and indigenous and exotic species are cultivated here.
Ohter parks: the Cross Park, Corso Park in Victory Square, The Curch park in Eforie Square.