Timiș

Points of interests

Due to the historical influences occurred along the time in Banat, the monastery settlements with historical resonance...
The first document of this monastic settlement is dating since 1571, when monk Laurentiu wrote 3 books and gives one of...
Morisena Monastery was built in 2003 to help the faithful guidance to religious life. The monastery was built in the...
The Luncanii de Sus monastery was founded in 2001 with the blessing of Î.P.S. Mitropolit icolae, originally as a skete...
Saraca Monastery is mentioned in documents since 1270. Situated in the village Semlacu Mic, commune Semlacu Mare, this...
Timiseni Monastery was founded in 1944 by the Metropolitan Vasile Lazarescu. Around the monastery the are found weaving...
Fardea Monastery is a monastery of nuns originally built in 2001 by the Metropolitan Nicolae. The foundation of Fardea...
Cebza village is first mentioned in official documents in 1337 under the name Ciacova. He is reminded in the papal...
In the 19th century, the San Marco mansion in Comlosu Mare was the center of the theatrical shows organized in the...
MANSION PRESENTATION WEBSITE - http://www.conaculhodoni.ro/en The village Hodoni (Odon, Odogny, Odoign, Hodony) is...

Timiş County, integrant part of Romanian territory, is located in the west of the country, neighbouring Serbia and Hungary to the west, Hunedoara County to the east,  Caras-Severin County to the south-east and  Arad County to the north.

The extremes points of the county are found in  the following coordinates: 20°16' (Beba Veche) and 22°33' (Poieni) longitude east, 45°11' (Lăţunaş) and 46°11' (Cenad) latitude north.

Timişoara is the county seat of Timiş county and it is located to a distance of aproximately 550 km from Bucharest, the capital city of Romania and at aprox. 170km and 300 km from Belgrad and Budapest, the capital cities of the two neighbouring countries Serbia  and Hungary.

With a total surface of 869.665 ha Timid County occupies 3, 65% of the Romania territory being the largest county in the country.

From its total surface, the farming surface was in 2010 of 693.417 ha (79.7%) less by 8.753 ha (1%) than in 2006 (702.170 ha -80, 7%), out of which 531.037 ha was arable land, 121.347 ha were natural pastures, 28.619 ha natural meadows, 3.871 ha vinyards, 8.543 ha orchards.

The farming surface arranged for irigations in 2010 was of 15120 ha (2.2% of the farming surface).

The non-agricultural surface was in 2010 of 176.248 ha (20.3%, by 1% higher than in 2006) out of which 107.768 ha were forests, 18.950 ha roads and railroads, 28.923 ha yards and constructions, 4.871 ha non-arable land.

The landscape is characterised by the predominance of the flat plain which covers the western part (low plain) and the central part (high plain) of the county.The plain penetrates the hills area in the shape of gulfs, on Timiş valley (towards Lugoj) and on Beghei valley (towards Faget), while in the eastern part of the county spread the premountain Poganiş hills and the  south part of the Lipova plateau.

The highest ridges are found in the north-west and belong to the Poiana Ruscă  mountains (800-1300m), among which the Pades peak is the highest (1380m).

Timiş county’s territory is crossed from east to south-west by Bega and Timiş rivers, with their affluents Timişana, Pogăniş and Bârzava, and in the north follows its course from east to west Aranca, the old branch of Mures river.

The climate is continental-moderate with slight mediterranean influences. The Carpathian Mountains in the east protects the county against the cold continental air, and the opening to the west allows the slight penetration of the temperate maritime air.

The annual average temperature varies between -2°C and 21°C. The lowest temperature registered in Timişoara  was of -24,1°C in the winter and of 5,3°C in the summer, and the highest temperature was of 20,5°C in the winter and of 39,5°C in the summer.

Natural resources (in the subsoil) include deposits of (Sinersig), basalt (Lucareţ-Sanoviţa), manganese (Pietroasa), clay (Biled, Cărpiniş, Jimbolia, Lugoj, Sânnicolau Mare), oil and natural gas (the western side of the country), sand (Şag), glass sand (Groşi - Făget, Tomeşti şi Gladna).  Mineral spring waters and geothermal waters are found in Timişoara, Buziaş, Pişchia, Ivanda, Sacoşu Mare, Bogda, Calacea, Deta, Sânnicolau Mare, Jimbolia, Teremia Mare and Lovrin.

Timiş county soil offers favourable conditions for cultivating agricultural plants, mainly cereals and technical and fodder plants and for fruit growing and viniculture. In the north-west part of the county there are loam soils, silt-loam solis, meadow loams while in the hills region different types of forest soils succeed one another. The predominant types are the brown ones, while the dark-browns and the red-browns occupy small areas in the west side.

Forests are few, being situated in the eastern part of the county (fir, spurce and beech forests). In the other parts of the county small forests of oak, Turkey oak (Quercus Cerris),  Italian Oak (Quercus Frainetto), while in the water meadows there are poplars and willows.

The administrative-territorial organisation of the Timiş county includes according to the Law no.2 / 1968, recently modified by the Law no.83/2004 and the Law no.84/2004, 2 municipalities  (Timişoara şi Lugoj), 8 cities (Buziaş, Ciacova, Deta, Făget, Gătaia, Jimbolia, Recaş and Sînnicolau Mare), 89 communes and 313 villages.

During the last census in 2011 (temporary results) Timiş county population was of 649.777 inhabitants (a downfall by 28.149 inhabitants- 4.1% less than according to the census in 2002). The density of the population is of 75 inhabitants/kmp (a downfall by 3 inhabitants/kmp relative to 2002)

The capital city of the county is Timişoara, first mentioned in documents in 1266 and as a city since 1342, its name being given by the river Timişel or Little Timiş; such as appears the name of the current Bega river in the description of that time. Being reigned by the Kingdom of Hungary and by the Ottoman Empire during the Middle Ages, by the Habsburgs in the modern era, by the austro-hungarian monarchy  in the 19th century and included in Romania since 1919, Timişoara was called „little Vienna”. Timişoara  was among the first cities in the world which used the horse-drawn tram in 1869 and the first city in Europe illuminated by electric light in 1885.

Timişoara is an important industrial, social, cultural and scientific centre, a city of interethnic agreement , and a symbol for the 1989 revolution. It is today the city that promotes the most progressive ideas, being a bastion of democracy and developement on all levels.

Timiş County Council is the local public administration authority, constituted on the county level, in order to coordonate the activities of commune and city councils, for the realization of public services on the county level.