CSEKONICS MANSION - JIMBOLIA
Csekonics Mansion hosts today the town hall of Jimbolia. The mansion was firstly included in the domains of colonel Iosif Csekonics (1757- 1824),born in Kőszeg (Güns). The history of the domain starts in 1778, after the Ottoman Rule, when Banat had become Habsburg property and organised colonisation was begun. Settlers from the south of Germany founded the villages “Hartfeld” and “Landestreu”. In a rescript, Maria Theresa decided that both should be united.
In 1786, Jimbola gained market rights and guild privileges. In 1857, a railway to Timișoara was built, which lead to an economic growth in Jimbolia and the construction of a new district. In 1870, the first steam-powered mill was built. Stephan Bohn opened the Banat’s first brick factory in 1874 and in 1878; the first hat factory of the dual monarchy was established by Rudolf Decker in the district of Futok.
After the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1847, a massive organised migration from Hungary began. As a result, Jimbolia (back then still called “Hatzfeld”) was renamed as “Zsmbolya” by the government in Budapest.
After being invaded by troops of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia in 1918, the town was called Zombolj as can be read in the peace treaty of Trianon. In this process, some towns were reallocated, since Banat now belonged to three different countries and some towns had been cut in half between Romania and the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. Jimbolia, with its German majority of 75%, was given to Romania. In 1924, it was given its name Jimbolia.
After this re-naming and the affiliation to Romania, many Romanians moved to Jimbolia and by 1956, they constituted the majority of inhabitants.
Amongst other the local celebrities of Jimbolia are educationist, journalist and banker Karl Kraushaar (1858 Jimbolia – 1938 Budapest), the “painter of Banat Swabians” Stefan Jäger (1877 Cenei – 1961 Jimbolia), poet and journalist Peter Jung (1887 Jimbolia – 1966 Jimbolia), historian Alexander Krischan (1921 Jimbolia – 2009 Vienna), writer and politician Karl von Möller (1873 Vienna – 1943 Jimbolia) and poet, journalist and museum founder Petre Stoica (1931 Peciu Nou – 2009 Jimbolia).